- This event has passed.
Transcending Hearing Guilt: Engaging with Compassion
July 28, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT$5
Presented by: Katie Murch, B.B.A.
Location: ONLINE WEBINAR
Cost: $5.00 registration fee (must be received by August 25, 2021 if seeking CEU Certificate)
CEUs: 0.2 ODHHS Ethics CEUs, accepted by BEI
Register here! https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/3388208166495546125
This webinar is intended for hearing interpreters and ASL students.
In today’s society, hearing people are waking up to privilege and oppression and wondering how they fit in this complex system. When we do not understand the context and our role in it, guilt or shame may arise and leave people confused. How do we build deeper cross-cultural alliances in a world of uncertainty and stress? From this training, you’ll learn how to recognize the difference between shame and guilt and how either can lead to hearing guilt. You will also learn about audism and how to build a healthy anti-audist identity while honoring your space.
Topics covered will include:
- Clarifying cultural trauma
- Identifying the difference between shame and guilt
- Cultivating a healthy anti-audist identity
- Learning how to take more effective action in the fight against audism
- Recognizing how compassion can hold space for the self or others in addressing audism
About the presenter:
Katie Murch is a motivational speaker, life coach, and consultant. She has consulted and spoken around the nation with nonprofits, universities and businesses like Aspen Camp of the Deaf & Hard of Hearing, Deafhood Foundation, National Association of the Deaf, American Society of Deaf Children, Texas Society of Interpreters, Texas Association of the Deaf, and more. Katie holds a dual Bachelor degree in Management and Marketing from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.
- After you register, you will receive a registration confirmation email from GoToWebinar.
- Print and mail a copy of the confirmation email (include your full name) with your check/money order for $5 to: HHSC-ODHHS, Training and Education, PO Box 12306, Austin, Texas 78711.
- Payment must be received by 08/25/2021, if seeking CEUs.
- There are no refunds for any reason.
- If you have questions about the registration process, email your questions email@example.com.
*Participants may earn 0.2 ODHHS Ethics CEUs (accepted by BEI) by taking the pre-test (on registration page), attending a full session, and taking a post-test (in GoToWebinar). CEUs may not be earned by calling in via phone. If you need RID CEUs, you will need to contact your RID affiliate using the PINRA process.
This webinar will be presented in American Sign Language with voice interpretation. Audio access is via your computer speakers. If you do not have computer speakers, call the number provided in the webinar system.
View System Requirements