I try to avoid toothpaste with fluoride, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), titanium dioxide, or sugar (in its many forms). So after doing research and combing several recipes on the internet, I came up with my own mixture of tooth powder. It’s “super” because it’s designed to heal cavities, whiten teeth, and strengthen the enamel.
I’m already noticing less teeth sensitivity, smaller cavity holes, and whiter teeth. I suspect my cavities will disappear soon. *happy dance*
The other cool thing about having tooth powder, rather than toothpaste, is that it doesn’t have to go in that tiny ziplock bag when you travel by air. It’s not even liquid! 🙂
Most commercial toothpaste has evolved away from what our teeth and body actually need. More and more abrasives, artificial sweeteners, dyes, synthetics, and bleaches are found in those products. While they claim to protect or heal your oral health, they actually can wear down tooth enamel and erode the gums over the years. Also, our body can absorb toxic chemicals as we use these products.
Fortunately, oral care is truly simple. When we return to our roots, we can find effective and simple remedies to care for our teeth.
Power of the Ingredients
To mineralize teeth, you should ensure that your ingredients are high in calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
- Cinnamon. Acts as an antimicrobial and antifungal agent. However, this has been known to irritate sensitive gums and tongue.
- Benoite clay
- Activated charcoal
- Peppermint. Peppermint is antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial. It is also a local anesthetic to help numb any tooth pain you have.
- Sea salt.
- Baking soda.
You can also add one or more of the following for extra love in your tooth care:
- Spearmint essential oil
- Sweet orange essential oil
- Clove essential oil
- Myrrh essential oil. Not only an anti-inflammatory and an astringent, myrrh is also a natural whitener and great for mouth lesions. This can keep your gums tight and healthy.
Make Your Own Remineralizing Teeth Powder
An easy DIY tooth powder you can use in place of your store-bought toothpaste. The ingredients are designed to remineralize (rebuild) your teeth while whitening and cleaning.
- Prep Time5 min
- Total Time5 min
- 4 tbsp food grade bentonite clay
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp unrefined sea salt, finely ground
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 4 capsules activated charcoal
In a clean glass or silicone bowl, mix all ingredients with a wooden or silicone spoon.
Store in a clean, airtight container. Glass mason jars work very well.
To use, dip a wet toothbrush into the mixture and brush as usual.