- This event has passed.
Transcending Hearing Guilt: Engaging With Compassion
October 26, 2021 @ 4:00 am - 6:00 pm CDT
This webinar is intended for hearing interpreters and ASL students that are BEI certified or reside in the State of Texas. If you are out of state and/or not certified, check out the session happening in January!
As people become more aware of how the system is designed to lift or block certain groups of people, senses of confusion, guilt, or shame can creep in. How do we build deeper cross-cultural alliances in a world of uncertainty and stress?
Outside of intersectional issues (i.e. racism, sexism, etc.), audism and linguicism are common forms of oppression within the Deaf Community. Hearing guilt can emerge when a hearing person feels lost on how to move forward with Deaf and hard of hearing people.
With this webinar, hearing people can begin to transcend hearing guilt and figure out how to engage in the community in healthy ways. Participants will gain a birds-eye view of oppression and the difference between guilt and shame. This foundation leads to a meaningful application of a leadership framework and power dynamics. Each participant will have the opportunity to develop a unique plan to move forward with confidence and compassion.
Topics covered will include:
- Clarifying cultural trauma
- Identifying the difference between shame and guilt
- Cultivating a healthy anti-audist identity
- Learning how to take more effective action in the fight against audism
- Recognizing how compassion can hold space for the self or others in addressing audism
About the Presenter
Katie Murch loves to explore how we can work smarter within a purpose-centered life. Katie is the CEO and founder of 52 Alliance, a digital organization dedicated to leveraging nonprofit missions with efficient systems and valuable resources. Her passion for efficiency and growth is also a theme in her life coaching blog, katiemurch.com. She earned an MBA from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. She served as Miss Deaf Texas and runner-up to Miss Deaf America.
When Katie sets aside time for herself, she is likely reading or stargazing in her Austin backyard with her silly Pomeranian.
Registration & CEUs
Cost: no registration fee ($0)
Register for a session, and you will receive an email with a personalized link to access the webinar. If you have questions about the registration process, or about the webinar, email your questions to email@example.com.
These webinars will be presented in American Sign Language (ASL); voice interpretation will be provided for the sessions.
Audio access is via your computer speakers. If you do not have computer speakers, call the number provided on the GoToWebinar system.
View System Requirements: https://support.logmeininc.com/gotowebinar/system-check-attendee
CEUs: CEU certificates and certificates of attendance may be earned by attending the full session and taking a post-webinar survey. CEUs may not be earned by calling in via telephone.
- This webinar is approved for 0.2 ODHHS Ethics CEUs, accepted by BEI. (If you need RID CEUs, contact an RID CEU provider in advance of the session to request PINRA approval to earn CEUs.)
- ODHHS is an approved continuing professional education (CPE) provider for Texas Education Agency (TEA CPE Provider # 902-911)
- Certificates of Attendance will also be awarded for other continuing education documentation, such as for the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, Texas State EMS, and Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification.